Today I looked into the rendering resolution issue for Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1, which was recently released on Steam.
What’s interesting about this release is that it uses OpenGL, which is really rare in Windows games these days. It’s the first Japanese port I’ve seen which uses it. Therefore I was interested in having a look, as I’d never done any interception work on an OpenGL game before.
The good news is that the free software situation is much better for OpenGL than it is for DirectX (and particularly, than it was for DIrectX before I started DSFix and later GeDoSaTo :P), with multiple options available for handling the mechanics of interception/logging etc. After some googling I chose glintercept to base this work on, and I haven’t regretted this choice at all. The codebase seems a bit heavy at a first glance, but you only really need to deal with the plugin interface, which seems solid from what I’ve tried.
As for the game itself, after acclimating myself to OpenGL it was basically the same process as always: find buffer creation calls, intercept, try, find stuff that breaks, and iterate until done. In this particular case HUD and minmap rendering were the easiest to fix of any game I’ve worked on so far, and it took less than an hour for those after I got basic rendering at higher resolutions working.
Anyway, here is the download.
And if you want to contribute to my continuing struggle for more pixels, you can do so here (this link includes a reference that lets me know you are donating because of Neptunia in particular).