Since there are some question that are repeatedly asked (over and over again), I thought I’d put up a small FAQ.
The game crashes, help!
Make sure that you are not running any other applications that interact with Direct3D, such as various overlays. Also, some people seem to be able to solve the issue by renaming or removing the movie files in the “movWW” folder.
The game only shows up in a small part in the upper left corner!
Turn off the in-game AA option. And read the readme.
Can you improve the performance of the game?
Beyond reducing the main/dof resolution (which likely isn’t the issue on most low-end systems anyway) there is not much I can do, sorry.
Will you release the source code?
Yes, as soon as it is at least remotely presentable and I no longer make large changes daily. I hope it will help people attempt similar things for other games and/or implement the 100s of features people are asking for in Dark Souls that I will never get to.
Today’s Progress (or lack thereof)
What I spent most of today on was trying to make it possible to accurately track texture and surface usage through the whole application. This would enable far more fine-grained and specific changes. My idea was to wrap IDirect3DTexture and IDirect3DSurface — which also requires wrapping IDirect3DBaseTexture9 and IDirect3DResource9. Currently (up to and including 0.8) only IDirect3DDevice9 is wrapped.
The problem is that when I finished wrapping all these objects I get a crash at startup. It seems that the GFWL overlay is doing something strange with a texture it generates, and I simply cannot find out exactly what is going on. I spent hours trying to debug the issue. Now I have two options: either I give up on the idea of wrapping textures/surfaces (throwing away a day of work and the cleanest way to accomplish future modifications) or keep working on it in the hope that I can somehow track down the issue.
Neither of those seem very enticing right now, but I still lean towards the latter. My first step is to sleep over it. If I really cannot resolve the issue in the next few days I may just release the source in its current state and hope that many eyes see more than two (and that people are forgiving of terrible code).